Executive Board Elections and Appointments
In accordance with procedures outlined in the organization's Bylaws, CSPA-NYS fills vacant Executive Board positions through a process of nominations and elections. As all board positions traditionally begin on November 1, CSPA-NYS will begin the process for filling vacant positions during the prior spring season. Additional vacancies are filled on a rolling basis. These processes are managed by the Elections Committee, chaired by the Past President.
Some board positions are elected officers, filled through an elections process open to active CSPA-NYS members. Other board positions are appointed officers, appointed to the board by the President with the advice and approval of a simple majority of the current board.
Interested candidates must complete a nomination form. CSPA-NYS members may also nominate other members to be candidates. Those candidates nominated by another member will be contacted by the Elections Committee and must accept the nomination by completing the nomination form themselves.
Candidates will be asked to answer the following questions for a Candidate Statement as part of the nomination form:
- How will you contribute to the success of CSPA-NYS and its members through this officer position?
- What would you identify as the top two priorities for CSPA-NYS over the course of the next 1-2 years? How would you help to address those priorities through this officer role?
- Please describe any relevant experience (leadership roles, executive board positions) within CSPA-NYS or other professional associations.
Nominations will open March 28, 2018
The following is an overview of the timeline for the spring 2018 elections and appointments cycle.
Nominations Open: March 28, 2018
Nominations Close: May 2, 2018 at noon
Elections: May 7-18, 2018
Announcement of Elected Officers: May 22, 2018
Announcement of Appointed Officers: Summer 2018
Current Positions Seeking Nominations
President [3 year term, Nov. 2018 - Oct. 2021]
Vice President for Communications [2 year term, Nov. 2018 - Oct. 2020]
Vice President for Membership [2 year term, Nov. 2018 - Oct. 2020]
Vice President for Professional Development [2 year term, Nov. 2018 - Oct. 2020]
Coordinator of Educational Partnerships [2 year term, Nov. 2018 - Oct. 2020]
Eligibility and Responsibilities
Candidates must be active CSPA-NYS members and should receive the support of their direct supervisor prior to pursuing a position. General responsibilities for all Executive Board officers include:
- Attend all Board and committee meetings.
- Be informed about the organization’s Bylaws, mission, services, and policies.
- Provide candid and constructive criticism, advice and comments.
- Nominate prospective Board members and fill vacancies as needed.
- Be a champion for the association and inform others about the organization.
- Serve on committees and also take on special assignments.
- Participate in the governance through election of new officers and other matters to fulfill the requirements under the articles of the organization.
- Approve expenditures according to authorized limits and guidelines.
- Stay well informed about the organization by carefully reading minutes of the Board Meeting, financial statements and other materials.
- Take seriously the legal, fiscal, and ethical responsibilities the Board carries.
Position-specific responsibilities and preferred qualifications are outlined in job descriptions that are accessible via linked text above.
Newly elected and appointed board officers are invited and encouraged to attend the June CSPA-NYS Executive Board Leadership Retreat.
If you have specific questions regarding the elections and appointment process, e-mail the Elections Committee Chair and CSPA-NYS Past President, Ben Fabian, at email@example.com. Informational interviews about any board positions are available upon request.
CSPA-NYS members interested in volunteering on the Elections Committee can express interest online.