Innovation and Research Grant
2016 - Chelsea Kettle
2015 - Nikki Youngblood
In an effort to stimulate creativity, exploration, and the development of new initiatives or research, the CSPA-NYS Innovation & Research Grant is intended to help professionals and or scholars consider new ideas and spark enthusiasm for out of the box thinking.
As an association that focuses on the development and needs of graduate students, new professionals, and mid-level managers, the CSPA-NYS Innovation & Research Grant may be a valuable asset for those who have an interest in developing new programs, initiatives and practices, or engaging in research, but may not have expendable resources. One proposal will be awarded up to $1,000. Application deadline is June 1st.
Research Grant application information will be available during the fall 2017 semester.
- Application for research grants must fit with the mission and purpose of CSPA-NYS.
- All research activities must be conducted with the highest level of responsibility for protecting participants’ anonymity, confidentiality, and privacy.
- Eligible research activities include original, descriptive, or evaluative research; philosophical studies; or institutional assessment or evaluation.
- The principal investigator must be a CSPA-NYS member. Membership must be maintained through the duration of the grant. Register for membership.
- The grant is available to faculty, practitioners, and graduate students researching topics related to student affairs and higher education.
Project Outline: applications must provide a comprehensive document of no more than 1500 words outlining the research and includes:
- Cover sheet with the title of the research activity and the names and contact information of researchers, principal investigator denoted.
- Detailed budget of how the funding is to be used.
- Procedures for data collection and analysis.
- Description of participants (if applicable) and any instruments to be used.
- Brief literature review,
- Statement of the problem or research questions,
IRB Verification: Verification of approval from the principal investigator home institutional review board. Verification must be provided prior to funding being awarded, but submitting it attached to the Research Grant application is optional.
Criteria for Selection
Proposals will be considered that fall within the following parameters:
- Program, initiative, or practice that is new to the applicant's campus or field of student affairs, or is being modified to produce new results.
- Research or scholarly activity will produce new knowledge for student affairs.
- Funds can be paid directly to the primary applicant’s department or institution (please consider overhead costs that may be incurred, as CSPA-NYS cannot pay for those costs).
- If project is graduate student research, funding can be paid directly to applicant.
- Funds can be used for programs, activities, training or other initiatives that fall within the criteria above.
- Program, initiative, research or practice must be implemented within one calendar year of receiving funding under this grant.
- The primary applicant is expected to submit either a program proposal for the annual CSPA-NYS conference or work with the VP for Professional Development to find another means for sharing the results of the program (Programs do not have to be “successful” as often much is learned through not as successful programs/initiatives/practices).
- If project entails graduate research, applicant may be encouraged to submit results in the form of a manuscript to The New York Journal of Student Affairs.
Propose Timeline for Application/Selection Process
- April 1st – Request for proposals initially sent out.
- June 1st – Innovation & Research Grant Applications due.
- July 1st – Recipients notified.
- October – Recipients recognized at annual conference.
- Following June – Recipients are able to submit a program proposal to annual conference/work with VP for Professional Development to identify appropriate venue
For more specific information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.