Executive Board Elections and Appointments
In accordance with procedures outlined in the organization's Bylaws, CSPA-NYS fills vacant Executive Board positions through a process of nominations and elections. As all board positions traditionally begin on November 1, CSPA-NYS will begin the process for filling vacant positions during the prior spring season. These processes are managed by the Elections Committee, chaired by the Past President.
Some board positions are elected officers, filled through an elections process open to active CSPA-NYS members. Other board positions are appointed officers, appointed to the board by the President with the advice and approval of a simple majority of the current board.
Interested candidates must complete a nomination form. CSPA-NYS members may also nominate other members to be candidates. Those candidates nominated by another member will be contacted by the Elections Committee and must accept the nomination by completing the nomination form themselves.
Candidates will be asked to answer the following questions for a Candidate Statement as part of the nomination form:
- How will you contribute to the success of CSPA-NYS and its members through this officer position?
- What would you identify as the top two priorities for CSPA-NYS over the course of the next 1-2 years? How would you help to address those priorities through this officer role?
- Please describe any relevant experience (leadership roles, executive board positions) within CSPA-NYS or other professional associations.
The following is an overview of the timeline for the current elections cycle. Questions about the process can be directed to Chris Diggs, Past President, at email@example.com
Nominations Open: April 10-24, 2017
Election Held: May 1-15, 2017
Announcement of New Board: May 19, 2017
Rolling Nominations Process for Vacancies: May 19, 2017
A special election will be held for vacant elected positions prior to Fall 2017.
Current Positions Seeking Nominations
Vice President for Membership [2 year term, VP Elect: Nov. 2017 - Oct. 2018, VP: Nov. 2018 - Oct. 2019]
Vice President for Professional Development [2 year term, VP Elect: Nov. 2017 - Oct. 2018, VP: Nov. 2018 - Oct. 2019]
Coordinator of Educational Partnerships [2 year term, Nov. 2017 - Oct. 2019]
Eligibility and Responsibilities
Candidates must be active CSPA-NYS members and are encouraged to receive the support of their direct supervisor prior to pursuing a position. General responsibilities for all Executive Board officers include:
- Attend all Board and committee meetings.
- Be informed about the organization’s Bylaws, mission, services, and policies.
- Provide candid and constructive criticism, advice and comments.
- Nominate prospective Board members and fill vacancies as needed.
- Be a champion for the association and inform others about the organization.
- Serve on committees and also take on special assignments.
- Participate in the governance through election of new officers and other matters to fulfill the requirements under the articles of the organization.
- Approve expenditures according to authorized limits and guidelines.
- Stay well informed about the organization by carefully reading minutes of the Board Meeting, financial statements and other materials.
- Take seriously the legal, fiscal, and ethical responsibilities the Board carries.
Position-specific responsibilities and preferred qualifications are outlined in job descriptions that are accessible via linked text above.
Newly elected and appointed officers will be invited to attend a Board planning retreat on June 15 and 16, 2017 in New York City and attendance is encouraged. If you are nominated for a position, please hold this date if possible.
If you have specific questions regarding any of the vacant positions or the elections and appointment process, e-mail the Elections Committee Chair and CSPA-NYS Past President, Chris Diggs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.